I used to keep my Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder 5500 on my deck, tucked in a corner covered with a sliver of plywood. The cover “roof” did little to protector the generator from driving rain and snow and I think my generator did not appreciate it very much based on surface rust, hose degradation, etc.
I built a custom shed (you can read it here) but I realize that not everyone has the space or time to custom build one so I am reviewing 3 most popular tool sheds that can be re-purposed into a portable generator shed.
Lifetime Products Lifetime 60170 Horizontal Storage Box
Lifetime Heavy-Duty, Horizontal HDPE Storage Box (model # 60170 or 60088) is a high quality beast. It is absolutely huge in comparison to others generator sheds, coming in at approximately 52″ height x 41″ depth x 74″ width, providing almost 75 cubic feet of storage space.
Weighing at almost 150 pounds, the rigid dual-wall high-density polyethylene (HDPE) construction makes the shed strong, durable, and sturdy and much like my Lifetime deck box, the horizontal storage shed is UV-protected construction and weather-resistant design to keep your content away from moisture and other elements.
Although it was originally designed to hold two large garbage cans, a large interior capacity allows you to conveniently store and operate your portable generator with ease.
Lifetime Horizontal Shed is durable and reliable choice (won’t rust, chip, crack or splinter) to store your generator and keep away from outdoor environment. With a lift-up top lid that is spring-hinged for easy, immediate access and lockable double front doors swing open nearly 180 degrees, you can have complete access to your portable generator.
- includes a heavy-duty, slip-resistant floor panels.
- Weather, water and crack resistant, dual-wall high-density polyethylene (HDPE) construction;
- Controlled spring-hinge lid opens for easy access;
- Weather-resistant steel hinges;
- Lockable front doors with external latching mechanism, reinforced with full-length galvanized steel hinge pins (you need to buy your own lock);
- Originally built to hold 2 large garbage cans;
- UV-protected panels and lid – will not fade, crack, or peel;
- 5-year limited warranty;
Lifetime Storage Box comes pre-finished with light-sand colored walls and doors, with complimentary dark-brown lid for both 60177 and 60088 models.
It is straightforward to assemble, though plan on taking your time when assembling by yourself (take special care when connecting he top lid hinges):
- Assembly instructions for Model 60088
- Assembly instructions for Model 60170
- Video instructions for Model 60088 (applies to 60170 as well)
COMMON TOOLS REQUIRED FOR ASSEMBLY
- Safety Goggles;
- Drill bits;
- Tape measure;
- Cordless drill (90 degree angle cordless drill will come handy);
- Framing square;
- Torpedo level;
I will be posting updates as I progress through the generator shed project.
If you found this article to be useful, can you do me a favor and sign up for my newsletter so that I can send you updates on my DIY projects?
Lastly, if you have any questions, please leave a comment below.
Thanks and good luck with your DIY project!
- Lifetime Products – Horizontal shed, Model 60088
- generator shed
- generator shelter
- generator shelter plan
- generator shelter diy
- generator shelter kit
- generator shed lowes
- generator shed suncast
- generator shed design
- generator shed soundproof
- generator shed exhaust fan
- generator shed fan
- small generator shed
- outdoor generator shed