Replace the battery for the key fobs on 2010 Subaru Outback Wagons.
This solution should be applicable for 2008-2010 Subaru Outback wagons.
Tools and Parts
- Mini Phillips + Flat head screw drivers – If you don’t have a set, I suggest something like this JACKLY 45 in 1 Professional Portable Opening Tool Compact Screwdriver Kit Set for under 10 bucks
- Panasonic CR1620 button battery
- Plastic Pry Tools – Not a must but nice to have for under 5 bucks
Unlike some other cars, Subaru key fobs DO NOT need to be re-programmed after changing out the battery so it’s just a simply matter of disassembling the case and swapping out the battery.
- Keyfob case is held in place by a single Phillips screw. Using #1 Phillips screwdriver, remove it;
- Using a pry tool (or a sharp utility knife), gently insert into the slot and twist to separate the case. Please note that there is a small hinge by the rear ring so you will have to lift up at an angle from the key side;
- Using a pry tool, carefully lift each plastic hold-down tabs one at a time and rotate the casing; it’s a bit tricky to open all four tabs at the same time so take your time;
- Once all tabs are released, lift the casing from the controller board;
- Pop off the CR1620 battery and replace it with a new one;
- Reverse the installation process
CR1620 generally lasts around 3-5 years so you should not have to worry about it for some time.
If you found this article to be helpful, can you do me a huge favor and sign up for my free newsletter? The form is on the upper right side of the screen.
Good luck with your repair and let me know how it turns out!