The temperature display on my GE Profile Side-by-side refrigerator has a self-diagnosis mode. You can enter the test mode to verify these 4 components are in working order (P for pass) or not (F for fail):
- Thermistor (sensors that provide temperature information to the central CPU);
- Defrost heater;
- Interior fans;
Just keep in mind that control diagnostics using the display does not use error codes to identify problems. It simply tells you if a particular component exists, and if yes, tests to see if it is in working condition or not.
This information pertains to a GE Profile Refrigerator PFCF1NFWABB (black trims) or PFCF1NFWASS (stainless trims) models.
- Open the refrigerator. If the display is blank, press any temperature buttons once. The display will show the current temperature for both the refrigerator and freezer. It is important to note that the temperature display must be in this (active) mode in order to enter the self-diagnostic mode;
- Enter the diagnostic mode by pressing both the freezer temperature (COLDER and WARMER) pads and the refrigerator temperature (COLDER and WARMER) pads simultaneously. It may be difficult, but you need to firmly press and hold all four pads at the same time for approximately 3 seconds;
- You have successfully entered the test mode if you see blinking “0”s (zeroes) in both the freezer and refrigerator displays;
- Quickly remove you fingers within 5 seconds of flashing “0”s and press any on temperature buttons to lock-in the test mode;
- If you see blinking “0”s changing to non-blinking “0”s, you have successfully entered into the steady-state test mode;
- Please note that failure to lock-in the test mode within 30 seconds will time out the test and return the refrigerator to the normal cooling mode.
- Please note that “FZ display” is for the freezer temp display. Use Warmer or Colder buttons to increase or decrease the displayed number
- The same concept applies to “FF display” which is for the refrigerator temp display. Use Warmer or Colder buttons to increase or decrease the displayed number
- Match the numbers in the FZ and FF display columns found in the GE Profile Refrigerator PFCF1NFWA – How to Use Built-in Control Diagnostics (Part 2) page to enter a specific test mode.
- To terminate the diagnostic mode, enter “1” in the FZ display and “5” in the FF display and press any key (i.e. filter reset button). Screen will go blank about 3 seconds and temperatures will be displayed again to confirm that you have successfully existed the diagnostics mode.